Friday, January 27, 2012

Columbia University


12/2/2011: The invited lecture at Columbia University's IRAAS (Institute for Research in African American Studies) was a real honor. The Institute was founded by the great Manning Marable, who had a brief stint as a professor at Ohio State before going to Columbia. He passed 6 months before this visit, so it was especially humbling to share my work in that space.

And I was blown away by how many people whose work I admire made the time to be there. It made for an intense Q&A that still has me thinking!


That weekend was the best weekend ever! I gave the lecture at Columbia on Friday, flew from New York City to Las Vegas on Saturday, and ran a half marathon on Sunday. This is only about half of the women of Black Girls RUN! who ran that race too! Yes, running is an important part of what keeps me empowered to do the work that I think is important. I bet your city has a group. Check us out at blackgirlsrun.com

No comments:

Post a Comment