Monday, March 17, 2014

Certificate of Congressional Recognition


On Friday, March 14, 2014, I gave an invited lecture at the Library of Congress. Thanks to coordinated efforts by the University of Illinois Press (which published Living with Lynching) and the staff at the Library of Congress, C-Span's Book TV recorded the lecture and will air it soon. I also hope to receive quality photographs soon because I noticed at least one professional photographer. 

In the meantime, I'm delighted to share this memento. Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee made the time to stop by before catching a plane to get home to Houston (where I grew up). She presented me with a Certificate of Congressional Recognition. I was literally speechless when she walked in, and I remain honored that she made the time to do this in person. It reads: 

Certificate of Congressional Recognition
Presented to
Dr. Koritha Mitchell
Recognition of Achievement

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that, on behalf of the constituents of the Eighteenth Congressional District of Texas, I take great pride in congratulating you for your outstanding book Living with Lynching: African American Lynching Plays, Performance, and Citizenship, and wish you much success during your lecture and book signing. You deserve the respect, admiration and commendation of the United States Congress.

Dr. Sibyl Moses, a remarkable librarian and scholar, found my work while doing some research and extended the invitation to speak at the Library of Congress. She then made sure that every element of the visit went well. We were both pleasantly surprised by the Congresswoman's appearance. What a way to end the day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment